Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Oh my gosh. The Enquirer is telling tales again...

It's ironic I learned about the National Enquirer article on Dale Jr. from the PR director for NASCAR team JR Motorsports via Twitter:


Responses to his tweet clarified the tabloid was the Enquirer and the subject was Jr. If it hadn't been for his comment on Twitter, I would never have known about the article - I rarely read newspapers or watch TV news, let alone read the Enquirer. Now, maybe I'm the only one of his 2,518 followers who wouldn't have heard about the story, but I doubt it.

Maybe a better response would have been no response at all. People who believe what they read in tabloids probably won't believe a legitimate source who is disputing the story. People who don't believe the tabloids...probably don't read them?


As far as what the world is coming to? We have become a society of spectators. As fans, we contribute to multi-million dollar salaries earned by men and women playing games for our entertainment. Don't get me wrong, I recognize the years of practice, dedication and effort required to reach that elite level. I don't say it's either right or wrong that they earn that kind of money. I love watching professional sports (although I've given up on baseball until somebody else starts winning). What I find ludicrous is the expectation of any kind of private life in the midst of it all.

Celebrity doesn't justify irresponsible "reporting" produced by tabloids like the Enquirer, but it's a part of it. That hefty paycheck comes complete with glass house, and I imagine it takes a pretty thick skin to live in it. For those who can't take the constant public exposure, there are thousands of occupations where the public has no idea who you are or cares what you're doing and you'll never find your name in the Enquirer - the downside is, they don't pay nearly as well.

No comments:

Blog Archive